Management of Ocular Diseases
At Vision Professionals of Leawood, we provide each patient with a thorough eye exam to screen for vision problems and offer comprehensive management of ocular disease at our Leawood optometrist.
Ocular Diseases Treated at Our Leawood Eye Doctor
Management of ocular disease is designed specifically for each patient's unique needs, including age, lifestyle and health history. Some of the ocular diseases treated at our Leawood eye doctor office include:
- Cataracts - Management of cataracts (a clouding of the lens) begins with fitting you for prescription lenses and monitoring your eyes at yearly exams. If the disease progresses to the point that surgery is required, we can co-manage your surgical pre- and after-care.
- Conjunctivitis - Most often seen in our youngest patients, conjunctivitis (pink eye) in the viral and bacterial forms is highly contagious to people of all ages. A viral pink eye is usually managed with home care, while we treat the bacterial with medicated eye drops. If you have allergic conjunctivitis, managing your allergen triggers is key.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - If you have diabetes, you are at risk for diabetic retinopathy, which damages blood vessels in the retina. It is best managed through regular eye exams and controlled glucose levels. Advanced diabetic retinopathy is surgically treated by focal laser treatment, scatter laser treatment or vitrectomy.
- Dry Eye - To treat dry eye disease by increasing tear production, we will learn more about your lifestyle, in order to recommend good eye habits and possible environmental changes. Natural tears, medicated eye drops and in-office procedures, such as puntal plugs, are all effective treatments.
- Glaucoma - Higher than normal pressure in the eye causes glaucoma in most patients. Yearly intraocular pressure screenings with a tonometer are crucial to early diagnosis. A medicated eye drop to lower pressure is the first treatment step. If surgery is required, we will closely follow up with you for post-op and continuing care.
- Macular Degeneration - Early diagnosis provides you with the best chance of treatment for macular degeneration. As the leading cause of blindness in older adults, it affects the ability to see detail due to deterioration at the macular or the center of the retina. Management depends on the type and may include drugs to prevent the growth of abnormal blood vessels.
Appointments with Our Optometrist
Many eye diseases develop silently. Don't wait until you experience symptoms to see your Leawood eye doctor. Contact us to schedule your next appointment today at (913) 239-9446.