Vision Professionals of Leawood is a full-service optometrist. One of the eye conditions we treat is blepharitis. This disorder is an inflammation of the eye lid. It is caused by an excess of oil that causes the pores along the eyelash line to become clogged. Although it causes discomfort and is unpleasant to look at it, blepharitis does not damage eyesight and cannot be passed from one individual to another.
Signs of the disease include:
- Itchy, watery, red eyes with swollen lids and flaking skin around the eyes
- Greasy, sticky eyelids
- Blinking more than normal
- Being sensitive to light
- Abnormal eyelash growth or loss of eyelashes
Complications include eye infections, chronic pink eye, dry or teary eyes, scarring to the eyelid, and ulcers on the cornea. Monitoring by a doctor of optometry is recommended to safeguard against damage to the eyes or eyelids.
As there is no cure for blepharitis, managing the symptoms is the best course of action. Some remedies to help with pain and aggravation are:
- Warm compresses will help with swelling and alleviate pain.
- Keeping the eyelids clean is imperative to conquering issues associated with blepharitis. For an at home treatment, a patient can use baby shampoo to gently rub the base of the eyelashes. This is usually done with a cotton swab or washcloth. The shampoo should be diluted with warm water.
- Over the counter drops may help with dry eyes, redness, or irritation.
- Many patients use antibacterial products on their hair, face, and eye brows. This keeps skin and hair grease under control so it doesn't spread to the eyelids. In addition, it kills bacteria that will lead to outbreaks.
- An optometrist may prescribe an ointment or drops to avoid infection or clogged pores.
In office treatments may include:
- Electrochemical lid margin debridement - removes bacteria and unclogs glands
- Thermal pulsation treatment - melts the grease and bacteria
- Intense pulse light therapy - unclogs glands
Vision Professionals of Leawood can help you with your blepharitis. We treat all types of eye disorders. Our friendly, trained staff is equipped to manage your eye health. Our doctor of optometry, Dr. Tyler Ohde, has the education and experience to give you the very best eye care. Call us today to schedule an appointment: 913-239-9446.